Poll

Savior Story Thread Guide (This tells you where to find stuff in this thread)

The 4 main characters are on the 1st page.
0 (0%)
The 10 temporary characters are on pages 2-3.
0 (0%)
Cutting the optional characters I have posted. Graphics are on pages 9-10.
0 (0%)
Brennus, an antagonist, is on page 11.
0 (0%)
"Quick and dirty" demo on page 29.
0 (0%)
Growth Types are on the 1st page.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Savior Story  (Read 27569 times)

Offline Micah Seven Eighteen

• http://apologiaradio.com/
  • Level 7
  • Married to Song for God.
    • www.ChristDied.com
Savior Story
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:40:24 AM »
I'm working on a game with the working title "Savior Story". Essentially, I plan to make a story about an ex-knight named Sigurd who becomes a bodyguard. He'll probably start the game working for a couple of different clients, but he'll end up protecting a young man named Felix for much of the game. Felix happens to be the son of a wealthy merchant.

I plan to make this game have at least 11 characters you have to get, temporary or otherwise, but also at least 4 more that would be optional if nothing else (Micah, Fide, Malachi and Liana, characters based on myself, my wife, my cousin and his wife). I want it to take place on two different world maps, one being Illtyd, an archipelago with a mix of different cultures, and the other being Anwen, a mainland with an American western feel to it. You'll be able to explore all of Illtyd, but only a very small fraction of Anwen, particularly being restricted to a valley, though I don't have a name thought up for it yet.

Some characters in this game will be Christians while others will not be, and so there will be an interaction of worldviews present. Characters are not divorced from their worldviews in some vain attempt to not be preachy: people have worldviews, and people act in accordance with them. Sigurd himself won't be a Christian, but Micah, the guy based on me, would be. Most dialogue that'd be particularly preachy would probably be confined to optional character conversations, which would help flesh out characters if engaged in.

I'd like to have items with solid Christian resources in the Extras section, available if anyone ever wants to check them out. The Extras section would also be where you could access Cheats, which would be in the form of items that can be gained through various means while playing the game. I'd also like you to be able to gain alternate costumes for characters and various artworks for them as well, which would all be accessible in the Extras section.

For a battle system, I have a rock-paper-scissors thing going on. Normal Attacks beat Guard Breaks, Guard Breaks beat Guard, and Guard beats Normal Attacks. The way it works? Each option has a 50% chance to Stun an enemy, which will cancel their action if they haven't acted yet, leaving them unbalanced and immobilized for 1-2 turns. Normal Attacks are the fastest attack options, Guard comes out faster than any attack and is set up to counter and protect against Normal Attacks (even the Stun that can be inflicted by them) while Guard Breaks come out slower than anything else in the game but they have a Stun effect that can't be protected against by Guarding and they can't be countered, either.

Items can be created in the form of Mixing, basically just taking two items and combining them to make a new one, inspired by Monster Hunter. These are gained by leveling, as are Attacks. Attacks allow the player to have more options available during combat. For example, the Attacks "Swing" and "Kick", exclusive to the Spear and Martial Arts respectively, allow a character to attack all enemies at once.

Characters don't have classes, such as Knight or Samurai, but instead have Growth Types, influenced by several of Koei's Warriors games, though they function in a similar way. Micah, for example, would be a Technique type, which has high SPD and SKL stats, while Sigurd would be a Defense type, having high HP, DEF and RDF stats. These Growth Types can also come in forms such as Item or Mix, and even though these have their own stat strengths and weaknesses like the other types do, they're primarily focused on allowing you to have more Mix skills than the other types, at the cost of less room for Attacks.

Most actions in this game consume SP (Stamina Points). While Guarding restores a small amount, the main way to restore SP would be food. Food affects more than just SP restoration, but that'll come up in the next paragraph.

Whenever defeating enemies, you'll have a chance to activate a Train state, available only on the Map and not in battle. Whenever you see this icon pop up and if you have 100% of your SP available, you can choose to Train. Default is the standard method, boosting all of your stats by a small amount at the cost of your SP, however, consuming foods and medicines can change this, opening up new options.

Foods and medicines activate Food Effects, so when training, you can get better stat boosts than Default gives. The food you consume will determine the kind of Food Effect activated. For example, consuming Raw Meat will activate ATK+, having more of a focus on the ATK stat at the expense of the DEF stat. No matter what Food Effect is active, every stat will increase when you Train, but they can be higher or lower based on what you've just eaten.

Every single character and enemy in the game will have an unhindered 1% chance to outright defeat a target. Certain Attacks very slightly increase this (1% increase), higher SKL can increase this too. When Guarding, you are immune to all status effects, including being instantly defeated. Due to this and several other things in my system, you are never beyond hope of winning a battle! Even a level 1 character could possibly defeat a totally maxed out character, though, it'd be pretty unlikely.

Due to the nature of my rock-paper-scissors system, being outnumbered is a bigger deal than in some games. If you are alone fighting 3 other people, they can each choose a different option, that way at least one would use the counter to your action. Especially if encountering trained humans, I do plan to make them use teamwork such as this. I plan for monsters to have simple patterns that can be read and exploited, while humans may differ. Either all humans, or trained humans, or maxed out highly skilled opponents (I'm not sure just yet) would have a rate of choosing options, so on their 1st turn, instead of "They will use this" like a monster might, it would be "They could use Attack, or Guard, or Guard Break" so you'd have to guess. This could make fights with really strong enemies be pretty replayable, as you'd never know how well they'll "read" you, making the fight harder or easier.

Equipment in my game works in a pretty interesting way. Armor reduces damage by a percentage, it doesn't just boost DEF and RDF by a number, so even if you have maxed out stats, it's still better to wear armor than not, for that percentage of damage reduction. Equipment generally comes in hardness of 5 basic materials: Bone, Copper, Bronze, Iron and Steel. Each material grants a percentage of damage reduction to a material equal to or weaker than itself. Bone armor only reduces damage from Bone weapons, while Steel armor reduces damage from Steel weapons and everything else.

By the way, monsters fall into these material categories in their own way, also. Essentially, their hides, claws, teeth, etc. would equate to the hardness of 1 of these 5 materials. The weakest monsters would be equal to Bone hardness (the Bone used is actually Monster Bone from certain kinds of monsters) while the strongest would be equal to Steel.

There is equipment in my game that is made from monsters. The player doesn't make them, but they can gain the materials the smiths are implied to use from the monsters and sell them (you don't gain money from monsters in my game, just materials which can be sold). While your standard Bone, Copper, Bronze, Iron and Steel armor gives higher DEF and RDF stat boosts, monster armor brings with it many attributes from the monsters they are made from, both pros and cons, granting new weaknesses but also strengths and even abilities like gradual healing or acting twice in a single turn. Accessories are all made from monsters as well, though no monster weapons are planned.

Status effects cannot stack in my game and they cannot be reapplied until after they wear off. This makes it harder to "Stun lock" an enemy, but it can still be done by working with more than one form of status effect which can immobilize. Status effects work on almost every monster and enemy in my game, unlike most RPGs: I actually want people to use them and have fun doing it, I don't want to just limit them to being useful on standard enemies people would usually just use a basic Attack to defeat anyway.

Characters have Growth Types, like mentioned earlier, and are limited in the number of Attacks, Skills, Mix, etc. that they learn as well as their stats, all determined by these Growth Types. The thing is, if you like a character but think they're too weak to use? Don't fret, each character has their own unique Ultimate training option, though it's only accessible once you reach level 30 (max level in my game) and you find a character specific special item. Once used, this training will give huge stat boosts and teach a character every Attack, Skill, Mix, etc. in the game! You can also max out any stat at any time, thanks to Train, regardless of having used a character's Ultimate or not.

EDIT: This has all been edited so many times since I initially started it. The original story idea I had was Micah being the main character, a drifter who ends up becoming a sheriff and fighting against a crime syndicate! Crazy how much this stuff can change from your original vision. Check out FF7 sometime and see what that was initially supposed to be like, as a professional example.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:30:41 AM by Micah Seven Eighteen »
A writer takes pen in hand,
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

He places vivid ideas into the book.

Spoken from the book,
handed down from the writer...

Now the story can be told...

Micah Seven Eighteen presents

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
Re: Savior Story
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:59:52 AM »
This would be Micah. His title right now is Carefree Clerk. I plan to make him become involved with fighting a crime lord, whether because he is deputized, becomes part of a militia, etc. (I don't like vigilante stuff and I wanna address it in the game). Contrary to most main characters in an RPG I've seen, he is actually not going to be balanced. He'll have a focus on SPD and SKL, instead.

There are sort of classes in my game. There are stat growth types, inspired by the Warriors Empires games, mostly. He is a Technique type character. All other Technique types share his growth rates, but the particular numbers within those ranges are randomized, so some could be better or worse by a few points. As a Technique type, he is combat-oriented with Skills, and does not learn Mix or any Mix type Skills innately.

Here are his stat growth rates:
_

HP: C (Lv1 - 454; Lv30 - 2135)
SP: B (Lv1 - 109; Lv30 - 510)
ATK: C (Lv1 - 16; Lv30 - 58)
DEF: D (Lv1 - 14; Lv30 - 47)
RAT: E (Lv1 - 10; Lv30 - 40)
RDF: E (Lv1 - 10; Lv30 - 39)
AGI: A (Lv1 - 39; Lv30 - 155)
SKL: A (Lv1 - 37; Lv30 - 156)
_

By the way, as a side note, there is no "death" status in my game, but instead Defeat. People may die in cutscenes, but generally, people are only defeated, unable to continue fighting.

Seeing as Micah is the first character, I'll give the basic skill functions on here.
_

Attack
Damage Formula - a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
Additional - FP Gain (5), Critical, Add State (Normal Attack)
Explanation - a in the damage formula would be the user, while b would be the target. The * would be a multiplication symbol. So, the formula means the user's ATK stat multiplied by 4 against the enemy's DEF stat multiplied by 2. Whatever this number comes to, it will be the initial number the game uses. All attacks in the game will cause at least 1 damage, regardless of how high someone's defenses are (if anyone with RPG Maker VX Ace isn't sure how to do this, and believe me, I have seen plenty of threads where people want to do this and others don't know how to show them a simple way, everyone talking about scripts and formulas and all of that, all you have to do is this: add Recover HP -1, which is in Effects, to all of your attack skills).

Variance would be the percentage at which the initial numbers will vary. The formula determines the initial number, but that number can vary by the Variance percentage, which in this case would be 20%. This, applied to the initial number, determines the damage actually done.

Element would be what type of damage the Skill causes. When it's set to "Normal Attack", it will apply the damage of the weapon equipped, states in effect, etc. When the Skill has it's own Element, it will apply that and won't apply the Element from the equipped weapon, states, etc.

SP Cost is how much SP (Stamina Points) a Skill will cost you to use. If you don't have enough SP, you can't use it.

FP Gain is how much FP (Focus Points) you gain when using a Skill. Some Skills require not only SP, but FP to perform. You build FP by using Skills with FP Gain, allowing you to use Skills that consume FP.

Critical means a Skill can perform a critical hit. When a Skill "Crits", it will multiply the damage that was done by 3!

Add State means that a state of some kind will be added to the target of this Skill. When "Normal Attack" is used, it means this Skill adds the same state your Normal Attacks do. Every character and monster in my game can add Defeat and Stun 1% of the time, by default. Weapons increase the chances of Defeat; the stronger the weapon the higher the increase. If a Skill adds a particular state instead of Normal Attack, it will attempt to apply that state at that percentage and will not try to apply the state of the weapon. For example, using Attack with the Katana equipped will apply the Defeat boost from the weapon, but using Strike with a Katana equipped will only have a flat 1% chance of Defeat.

Defeat State is applied when a character loses all of their HP. It prevents action, reduces EXP gain to 0% and removes all SP. The defeat percentage in all attacks means that is the chance Defeat is applied instantly, without having to remove all HP. It lasts indefinitely, and is removed after battle is over or by items (Green Root, Yellow Root, Red Root, Yellow Decoction, Red Decoction).

Stun State prevents a character from acting and reduces EVA by 100%. It lasts 1-2 turns, meaning it can wear off in the same turn it's applied, though at the end of the turn, so you still couldn't act for that turn.

Scope means the target of the Skill. In this case, a single enemy will be the target.
_

Guard
SP Cost - 4
Scope: The User
Additional - FP Gain (4); Add State (Guard); Skill triggers quicker than usual (+2000 SPD), CNT+5%
Explanation - Add State (Guard) means the Guard State is added to the target which in this case is the user. The Guard State reduces damage and prevents you from being Defeated instantly. Shields increase the effectiveness of Guarding; the stronger the Shield, the better the increase. This state lasts for 1 turn.

Skill triggers quicker than usual means this Skill will add an additional amount of SPD to the user during the Skill's usage. It will act as if the user's SPD is the increased number, compare it with the target's SPD, and whoever's SPD is higher moves first. In this case, the Skill increases the user's SPD by 2000.

CNT would be the chance to counter an enemy melee attack with one of your own, as well as negate any damage done to you by their attack.
_

Avoid
SP Cost - 4
Additional - FP Gain (4); Add State (Avoid), Skill triggers quicker than usual (+2000 SPD)
Explanation - Add State (Avoid) means that the Avoid State is added to the target. This state increases EVA (Evasion) by 59%. Melee and ranged attacks can be avoided. It lasts for 1 turn.
_

Counter
SP Cost - 4
Additional - FP Gain (4); Add State (Counter), Skill triggers quicker than usual (+2000 SPD)
Explanation - Add State (Counter) means that the Counter State is added to the target. This state gives a 40% chance to Counterattack, which cancels melee attacks directed at the user (user takes no damage from them at all) and causes the user to counter with Attack. Counterattack is not activated by ranged attacks and will not protect the user from them. This state lasts 1 turn.
_

Micah's Skill List

Level - Skill Name
_

Basic Skills
_

1 - Thrust (Katana)
Variance - 50%
Element - Piercing
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
Additional - FP Gain (5); Critical; Add State (Defeat 1%, Stun 1%)
Explanation - (Katana) means that this is a Skill only available to you when the Katana is equipped. When a different weapon name is inserted here, that is the weapon required to use the Skill.
_

1 - Strike (Katana)
Variance - 50%
Element - Blunt
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
_

1 - Draw (Katana)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack); Skill triggers quicker than usual (+1000 SPD)
_

1 - Thrust (Sword)
Variance - 50%
Element - Piercing
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
_

1 - Strike (Sword)
Variance - 50%
Element - Blunt
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
_

1 - Strike (Axe)
Variance - 50%
Element - Blunt
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
_

1 - Thrust (Knives)
Variance - 50%
Element - Piercing
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
_

1 - Strike (Knives)
Variance - 50%
Element - Blunt
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
_

1 - Slash (Spear)
Variance - 50%
Element - Slashing
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
_

1 - Swing (Spear)
Variance - 50%
Element - Slashing
SP Cost - 20
Scope - All Enemies
_

1 - Strike (Spear)
Variance - 50%
Element - Blunt
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
_

1 - Lunge (Spear)
Damage Formula - a.atk * 2 + a.rat * 2 - b.def - b.rdf
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
Additional - FP Gain (5); Critical; Add State (Normal Attack)
_

1 - Snipe (Rifle)
Damage Formula - a.rat * 4 - b.rdf * 2
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 3
Scope - One Enemy
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack); Certain Hit; Ammo Cost (Rifle S x1)
Explanation - Certain Hit means that the attack will not miss and cannot be avoided. It ignores Counterattack and Cover.

Ammo Cost is how much ammunition is required to use this Skill. (Rifle S x1) shows the type of ammunition required, and how much of it is consumed.
_

1 - Draw (Revolver)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 3
Scope - One Enemy
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack); Skill triggers quicker than usual (+1000 SPD); Ammo Cost (Revolver S x1)
_

Advanced Skills
_

1 - Dual Attack (Katana)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 10
Scope - One Enemy (x2)
Explanation - One Enemy (x2) means that a single enemy will be attacked 2 times.
_

2 - Dual Draw (Katana)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 10
Scope - One Enemy (x2)
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack); Skill triggers quicker than usual (+1000 SPD)
_

3 - Double Attack (Katana)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 10
Scope - 2 Random Enemies
_

5 - Double Draw (Katana)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 10
Scope - 2 Random Enemies
_

6 - Triple Attack (Katana)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 15
Scope - 3 Random Enemies
_

7 - Triple Draw (Katana)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 15
Scope - 3 Random Enemies
_

8 - Stun Draw (Katana)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack; Stun 50%); Skill triggers quicker than usual (+1000 SPD); Success (80%)
Explanation - Success means how often the Skill will work when used. In this case, it's 80% of the time. That means 20% of the time, it will fail and not even be attempted against the target.
_

9 - Stun Thrust (Katana)
Variance - 50%
Element - Piercing
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Defeat 1%; Stun 1%; Stun 50%); Success (80%)
_

10 - Stun Strike (Katana)
Variance - 50%
Element - Blunt
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Defeat 1%; Stun 1%; Stun 50%); Success (80%)
_

12 - Dual Attack (Revolver)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy (x2)
Additional - FP Gain (5); Critical; Add State (Normal Attack); Ammo Cost (Revolver S x2)
_

13 - Dual Draw (Revolver)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy (x2)
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack); Skill triggers quicker than usual (+1000 SPD); Ammo Cost (Revolver S x2)
_

14 - Double Attack (Revolver)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 5
Scope - 2 Random Enemies
Additional - FP Gain (5); Critical; Add State (Normal Attack); Ammo Cost (Revolver S x2)
_

15 - Double Draw (Revolver)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 5
Scope - 2 Random Enemies
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack); Skill triggers quicker than usual (+1000 SPD); Ammo Cost (Revolver S x2)
_

16 - Triple Attack (Revolver)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 8
Scope - 3 Random Enemies
Additional - FP Gain (5); Critical; Add State (Normal Attack); Ammo Cost (Revolver S x3)
_

17 - Triple Draw (Revolver)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 8
Scope - 3 Random Enemies
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack); Skill triggers quicker than usual (+1000 SPD); Ammo Cost (Revolver S x3)
_

18 - Stun Draw (Revolver)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 3
Scope - One Enemy
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack; Stun 50%); Skill triggers quicker than usual (+1000 SPD); Ammo Cost (Revolver S x1); Success (80%)
_

19 - Stun Strike (Revolver)
Variance - 50%
Element - Blunt
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy
_

20 - Dual Attack (Shotgun)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 5
Scope - All Enemies (x2)
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack); Ammo Cost (Shotgun S x2)
_

21 - Triple Attack (Shotgun)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 8
Scope - All Enemies (x3)
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack); Ammo Cost (Shotgun S x3)
_

22 - Stun Attack (Shotgun)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 3
Scope - All Enemies
Additional - FP Gain (5); Add State (Normal Attack; Stun 50%); Ammo Cost (Shotgun S x1)
_

24 - Dual Attack (Sword)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 10
Scope - One Enemy (x2)
_

25 - Dual Attack (Rifle)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 5
Scope - One Enemy (x2)
Additional - FP Gain (5); Critical; Add State (Normal Attack); Ammo Cost (Rifle S x2)
_

26 - Dual Attack (Spear)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 10
Scope - One Enemy (x2)
_

28 - Dual Attack (Axe)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 10
Scope - One Enemy (x2)
_

30 - Dual Attack (Knives)
Variance - 20%
Element - Normal Attack
SP Cost - 10
Scope - One Enemy (x2)
_

Special Skills
_

5 - Adept
SP Cost - 10
Scope - The User
Additional - FP Cost (10); Add State (Adept); Skill triggers quicker than usual (+2000 SPD)
Explanation - Adept State allows you to counter melee attacks and evade ranged attacks with a 100% chance. Lasts for 1 turn.
_

10 - Blind
SP Cost - 0
Scope - All Enemies
Additional - FP Cost (10); Add State (Blind 50%); Certain Hit; Item Cost (Blindingdust x1)
Explanation - Blind State reduces HIT% by 60% and prevents Skill use, any ranged attacks and Escape. Lasts for 3-5 turns. It can be removed by skills and items (Heal; Blue Decoction).
_

15 - Finesse
SP Cost - 25
Scope - The User
Additional - FP Cost (25); Add State (Finesse)
Explanation - Finesse State allows you to evade melee and ranged attacks with a 100% chance. Lasts for 3 turns.
_

20 - Nightmare
SP Cost - 0
Scope - All Enemies
Additional - FP Cost (50); Add State (Sleep 100%); Certain Hit; Greatly Debuff RDF; Item Cost (Sleepingdust x1)
Explanation - Sleep State prevents action, reduces EVA by 100% and halves DEF and RDF. It lasts 3-5 turns or is removed by damage 100% of the time. It can be removed by items (Blue Decoction).
_

25 - SP Cost Down
SP Cost - 100
Scope - The User
Additional - FP Cost (100); Add State (SP Cost Down)
Explanation - SP Cost Down State reduces SP Cost to 25%. It lasts for 5 turns.
_

Trait Skill
_

1 - Repel
SP Cost - 12
Scope - The User
Additional - FP Cost (12); Add State (Repel)
Explanation - Repel State allows you to evade melee and ranged attacks with a 59% chance. Lasts for 3 turns.
_

EDIT:

This has been edited so many times, I don't even...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:32:31 PM by Micah Seven Eighteen »
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

Offline CreationCryptozoologist

• CC- Keeper of Dinosaurs
  • Level 8
  • Hey
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »
Sounds interesting! : D
WE'RE TAKING THE DINOSAURS BACK!! www.thetruthgroup.com -- www.genesispark.com --- www.answersingenesis.org -- www.creationtoday.com -- www.dinosaursandman.com
I lay claim to Red's 3758th post Old peep ;D

Offline QuietGrace

• Level 6
  • Qualified as a ninja before I could walk
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:48:04 PM »
This sounds epic! You had me at "maybe with a hint of steampunk". I also like that Micah seems to be the opposite of the main characters in RPGs you've seen; it seems like a sort of twist. (I haven't played may RPGs, but I think this is really interesting.) I also like the way you're handling the whole "safe spot" situation. I wish you the best of luck with your project ^_^b
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

Online sarah_yt

• Level 8
  • Nazo's Oba-chan
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:37:18 PM »
This sounds really cool!

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 12:04:09 AM »
This would be Malachi. While Micah is based on me, Malachi is based on my very close cousin in real life. We actually both became saved about the same time, by God's grace, even though we had had a falling out and quit speaking to each other. We got into contact with each other after we became Christians, and we've been very close again ever since. Anyway, Malachi's title is Mountain Man currently. His planned Trait is RDF Plus, which increases Ranged Defense. He may be level 10. Stats:
_

HP: B
SRG: B
ATK: B
DEF: B
RAT: E
RDF: E
AGI: B
SKL: B
_

He is proficient with the Spear, Bow, Sword and Knife. By the way, even if his RDF is naturally very weak, due to his Trait, it will end up higher than someone who is very strong, once he is maxed out and his Trait is maxed out. So, his real weakness stat wise would be RAT, but that's all.

I'd like to point out as a random note, that every attack in this game has a 1% chance to instantly K.O. The higher your SKL, the higher that chance gets, but it's always at least 1%. The game calculates your SKL against enemy SKL, so the higher their SKL, the harder it is to do against them. Even a very weak enemy could instantly defeat a Level 30 character, if he happened to instant K.O. them.

Melee attacks (probably excluding your basic attack), Evasion Skills, Shield Skills and Counter Skills, these all use Stamina (SP). Everyone has a maximum of 100 SP, which is what they start out with each battle (unless you are in story points with consecutive battles, which will then carry over your SP from the previous battles, so you may want to be more cautious than during random battles). Melee attacks also rely on HIT% to hit an enemy.

The Revolver, Rifle, Shotgun and Bow all require AP (Ammo Points). Max AP varies. The Revolver has 6, the Rifle has 8, the Shotgun has 5 and the Bow has 12 (based on holding the arrows at the ready in the hand, like Lars Andersen demonstrates in this awesome video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g). Each one of these ranged weapons has it's own ammo type, so you want to make sure you have the right ammo and enough of it. Ammo can be made or bought in stores.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:47:27 PM by Micah Seven Eighteen »
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 12:15:45 AM »
This would be Liana (her full name is Eliana). She is based on my cousin's wife. Her Title at the moment is Traveling Missionary. Her planned Trait is Medic, which increases the effectiveness of healing items. She is level 2. Stats:
_

HP: C
SRG: C
ATK: C
DEF: C
RAT: C
RDF: C
_

Weapon proficiency is Bow, Martial Arts, Spear and Knife.

By the way, even if people have a certain number of AGI, different moves can vary in how much they add to that or take from it. Skills have their own speed, which can be as low as -40 (meaning it subtracts 40 from their AGI stat while using that Skill) or as high as +1000 (Quickdraw Skills are the only things that get this high, and they add 1000 onto your AGI while using that Skill). Only the Revolver and Katana can Quickdraw. Even if someone like Micah, who has the highest AGI in the game, had all of the highest AGI stuff equipped along with item buffs? His AGI would hit 999, and temporarily, at that. Using a basic attack, he STILL wouldn't be fast enough to attack before someone with the worst possible AGI, if they were using a Quickdraw Skill. If a character is proficient with the Katana or Revolver, this is a good way to beat out an opponent's AGI advantage over them. Now, if they have higher AGI than you and can also use Quickdraw Skills? Not much you can do there: they are just plain faster. Sorta like "quickdraw duels" in some western movies.

You're not helpless, even if someone can move that fast, though! No matter how fast they are, you can always use single turn Skills for defenses, like Guard, Avoid, Counter and Defend, which all have an extra speed of 2000 to add to your AGI! So, even if Micah at maxed AGI wanted to Quickdraw on you with a Revolver, you can still attempt Avoid, which will come out faster than even those Quickdraws. Avoid will increase your EVA by 67% for 1 turn (with all of the best stuff equipped to boost EVA and the highest natural EVA someone can have, you'd end up with a 99% chance of evading for 1 turn). This consumes 10 SP, but guns use bullets, too: you can't shoot forever.

Admittedly, you won't be fighting other people, but here is where mind games would come in, trying to read what your opponent will do. They have to Reload sometime if they wanna keep up the shooting, so that leaves them open to attack. When will they Reload, though? You can dodge, but eventually most characters will run out of Stamina (some have an SRG of 10 or higher, so they could keep up Avoid forever, assuming they don't get hit: Avoid is removed 100% of the time if you actually do get damaged). Items can restore SP and Reload uses ammo items like Revolver Bullets to restore AP. So, it kinda becomes a contest to see who is better at predicting what the other person will do next. This (sort of) still applies to AI, also. I plan to try making enemy characters do intelligent things.

Oh, and by the way, the Rifle with it's Certain Hit Skills can just get around all of the evading, anyway. However, it can't Quickdraw, so say if you were using a Revolver or Katana, you could attack at the same time someone else does, with your Skill coming out faster. If it can Stun and it works, you just stopped that Rifle shot. This idea works if you just have higher AGI than the Rifle user, also, plus you can just use Stun Bombs if you don't have Skills that can Stun. I may make it so you can find out what weapons an enemy will have equipped, so you can prepare accordingly. There are always ways to beat someone.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:22:48 PM by Micah Seven Eighteen »
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 12:22:07 AM »
This would be Fide. She is based on my wife, Song for God. Her Title is Loving Housewife. Her planned Trait is RAT Plus, which increases Ranged Attack. Level is 3. Stats:
_

HP: B
SRG: B
ATK: E
DEF: B
RAT: E
RDF: B
_

Weapon proficiency is Revolver, Rifle, Shotgun and Sword. By the way, she liked what I did with Malachi's stats, so she decided to mimic it and use the same idea, using her Trait to make up for a weakness, to make her better balanced overall. Basically, this means she'll really only have very weak ATK.

Actually, Song for God is helping me with graphics and art in my game. I'm mostly using default stuff, but for example, they didn't have buff icons I liked, so she tweaked them. She made a duster as well. She plans to make some guns for me, and she has also done my title screen art and some other stuff.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:29:32 PM by Micah Seven Eighteen »
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 12:28:38 AM »
I would link to music I plan to use in my game, but I don't know if links are okay. Are they? Anyway, I plan to use totally custom music. I just mean I don't plan to use the default stuff. I still didn't make any of the music. I plan to use something some people put out for free on an RPG Maker site, and I also plan to use some music from a Christian music site that is full of free music, if indeed those artists are okay with it. At least one I know he would be, based on what he says, but I'd like to ask him anyway, and the others, I mean, their music is on the site for free, but I'd like to ask them if I can put it into a game and if they'd be okay with that.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »
By the way, you don't just walk into people's homes in my game. I took an idea from Brave Fencer Musashi, and instead, you knock on doors and people answer and talk with you. No walking into a stranger's home and stealing their pendants! I also plan to have my monsters not dropping any money, just like how Special Delivery does. Instead, they drop materials to sell. Makes more sense.

Okay, so this had a lot of outdated stuff, so I'll turn it into an explanation post for growth types. Here we go:
_

Power (Battle)

HP: B (Lv1: 500-599)
SP: A (Lv1: 120-139)
ATK: A (Lv1: 20-22)
DEF: C (Lv1: 15-17)
RAT: E (Lv1: 10-12)
RDF: E (Lv1: 10-12)
SPD: D (Lv1: 20-24)
SKL: D (Lv1: 20-24)

"Power" is a Battle Type. Characters of this type will be heavily focused on combat. Whenever they learn a Skill while leveling, it will be a Skill that can be used in battle. They will also start out with 1 of 14 Trait Skills, chosen by whoever creates the character. What Skills they learn when leveling will also be determined by the creator of the character (within my own guidelines, of course).

These are the levels a Battle Type character learns their Advanced Skills:

Basic Skills are learned at level 1, and they are determined by what Advanced Skills someone learns. If they ever learn Dual Attack with a weapon, no matter what level, they will start with the Basic Skills for that weapon.

Battle Types learn Special Skills at levels 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25.

Trait Skill

1 - Choose 1 of 14.
_

Offense (Battle)

HP: A (Lv1: 600-699)
SP: A (Lv1: 120-139)
DEF: D (Lv1: 15-17)
SPD: A (Lv1: 35-39)
SKL: E (Lv1: 15-19)
_

Defense (Hybrid)

HP: A (Lv1: 600-699)
SP: C (Lv1: 80-99)
ATK: C (Lv1: 15-17)
DEF: A (Lv1: 20-22)
RAT: D (Lv1: 12-14)
RDF: C (Lv1: 15-17)
SPD: E (Lv1: 15-19)
SKL: C (Lv1: 25-29)

"Defense" is a Hybrid Type. Characters of this type will be balanced between Mix and Battle Types. Whenever they learn a Skill while leveling, it will either be a Mix Skill, usable only from the Menu, or an Advanced Skill, usable only in battle. They will start out with Mix as a Trait Skill, as well as being allowed to choose 1 of the 14 Trait Skills allowed for the Battle Types. What Skills they learn when leveling will be determined by the creator of the character.

Like Mix Types, Hybrid Types learn their Mix Skills at specified levels, the particulars determined by the Growth Type used. Below, I will display the level chart for the Defense Type.

Mix Skills

Advanced Skills

Special Skills (Same Levels as Battle Types)

Trait Skills

1 - Mix
1 - Choose 1 of 14
_

Balanced (Hybrid)

SP: C (Lv1: 80-99)
RAT: C (Lv1: 15-17)
RDF: C (Lv1: 15-17)
SPD: C (Lv1: 25-29)

Mix Skills

Advanced Skills

Special Skills

Trait Skills

1 - Mix
1 - Choose 1 from 14
_

Attack (Battle)

SP: B (Lv1: 100-119)
SKL: E (Lv1: 15-19)
_

Quick (Battle)

HP: C (Lv1: 400-499)
ATK: B (Lv1: 17-19)
DEF: D (Lv1: 12-14)
RDF: D (Lv1: 12-14)
SPD: B (Lv1: 30-34)
SKL: B (Lv1: 30-34)
_

Technique (Battle)

SPD: A (Lv1: 35-39)
SKL: A (Lv1: 35-39)
_

Shooter (Mix)

SP: D (Lv1: 60-79)
ATK: D (Lv1: 12-14)
RAT: B (Lv1: 17-19)
RDF: B (Lv1: 17-19)

"Shooter" is a Mix Type. Characters of this type will be focused on Mix Skills. Whenever they learn a Skill while leveling, it will either be a Mix Skill, usable only from the Menu, or an Advanced Skill, usable only in battle. They will start out with Mix as a Trait Skill, with no choice for anything else. What Skills they learn when leveling will be determined by the creator of the character.

Mix Types learn their Mix Skills at specified levels, the particulars determined by the Growth Type used. Below, I will display the level chart for the Shooter Type.

Mix Skills

Advanced Skills

Mix Types learn Special Skills at levels 6, 12, 18 and 24.

Trait Skill

1 - Mix
_

Sniper (Mix)

HP: D (Lv1: 300-399)
SP: D (Lv1: 60-79)
ATK: D (Lv1: 12-14)
RAT: B (Lv1: 17-19)
RDF: A (Lv1: 20-22)

Mix Skills

Advanced Skills

Special Skills

Trait Skill

1 - Mix
_

Deadeye (Mix)

HP: E (Lv1: 200-299)
SP: E (Lv1: 40-59)
ATK: E (Lv1: 10-12)
DEF: E (Lv1: 10-12)
RAT: A (Lv1: 20-22)
RDF: A (Lv1: 20-22)
SKL: D (Lv1: 20-24)

Mix Skills

Advanced Skills

Special Skills

Trait Skill

1 - Mix
_

Wonder (?)

HP: ? (Lv1: 200-699)
SP: ? (Lv1: 40-139)
ATK: ? (Lv1: 10-22)
DEF: ? (Lv1: 10-22)
RAT: ? (Lv1: 10-22)
RDF: ? (Lv1: 10-22)
SPD: ? (Lv1: 15-39)
SKL: ? (Lv1: 15-39)

Wonder Growth Types are randomized. Their ranges are randomized, and then whatever letter they get, they are randomized within that range to get their stat. Whether or not they are Battle, Hybrid or Mix Types is also randomized. Even how they learn their Skills is randomized. What Skills they learn, however, would be chosen by the creator of the character.

When these characters are created, they are randomized only one time. If you don't like what you get, you can just choose a different growth type. If you change your mind and want to try Wonder again, instead of "re-rolling", I'll just keep whatever stats you got last time set aside, so you can switch to that type if you'd like.
_

These would be all of the Growth Types so far. I don't intend to have anymore. If you want different Skills, stats, etc. you can choose how to Train a character, building on top of their natural growths due to their types, and anyone can learn any Skill, so this stuff isn't that big of a deal. You can always risk Wonder, which could come out amazingly awesome or abysmally awful.

When I talk about character creation, you can't do that in the game. I'm just talking about the rules I have created for myself when I make up characters and, of course, the ones I'd apply to anyone else if they'd like to make up their own character for my game (I would like to allow this, at least eventually).

Whenever you choose a Growth Type, I won't force you to stick with it. You can change your mind. However, if you ever change it again and go back to what you used to want, there is no re-rolling: if you go back, you'll still have whatever stats you rolled last time. I'll keep them set aside just in case.

For example, I rolled Micah's stats as a Technique type, and I can't re-roll them: that's how they are. If I switch his type, I can roll stats for that new type, but if he goes back to Technique, he'll still have his same old Technique stats from before.

Allowing other people to make their own characters I think would be awesome, not just because I know I always would have wanted to do that and I know others would as well, but also because it can help me "diversify" my characters, in a sense. I won't be making everyone, instead, many characters would be made by other people. I don't know if I'll do this certainly, or when, but I'd like to eventually.

EDIT:

This has been edited so many times, I don't even...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:59:57 PM by Micah Seven Eighteen »
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 12:45:06 AM »
Sounds interesting! : D
I thought so, too! Though, I guess I have a pretty biased opinion, because I'm making it. Haha.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 12:54:13 AM »
This sounds epic! You had me at "maybe with a hint of steampunk". I also like that Micah seems to be the opposite of the main characters in RPGs you've seen; it seems like a sort of twist. (I haven't played may RPGs, but I think this is really interesting.) I also like the way you're handling the whole "safe spot" situation. I wish you the best of luck with your project ^_^b
Yeah, I liked the idea of an antagonist maybe using an engineer to create a powerful weapon, or perhaps some post apocalyptic stuff, where they find such machines in some ancient ruins or some such nonsense. The machines would be enemies, of course.

I like the agile/clever type characters, characters who seem to be more about using tactics than brute strength. I tend to think that way myself when it comes to warfare related stuff, so yeah, if I was gonna base a main character on me, I don't think I'd fit the typical hero stat wise.

The idea I have about the K.O. stuff definitely isn't new, but I like it, too. For example, Pokemon don't die, they just faint. Monster Hunter, your Hunter doesn't die, they just faint. It doesn't make me feel as bad about losing a hunt (though I only ever lost in the Arena, by God's grace) if I just got defeated and escaped with my life. It just means I should be more prepared and/or more cautious next time, to avoid making the same mistakes.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »
This sounds really cool!
Thank you. I'm really just making a game that I think I would enjoy, being someone who has played all sorts of RPGs and other video games growing up. I hope others will like it, also, and I hope it will glorify Christ.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 01:01:26 AM »
The way I'm presenting the story in this game is in the form of... well, a story. Like at the beginning, I want to have a black background with plain white text, and I just want to write. Like, me, myself, as if I'm speaking to the player. I may even let the player name themselves, and I will address them by the name they choose at scenes like this. I plan to make these scenes be the author of the book (me) interacting with the player. Think of a movie like the Princess Bride, where the story is presented in the form of a storybook being read to someone. The movie and it's characters are all just storybook characters (okay, mostly...), but you still enjoy the story that is being told and it's characters.

So, that's how I explain fantasy and a make believe world mixing with people believing the Bible and such. It's just a story. Not real. I think this would help with Micah ever doing crossovers, also. He's just one story character entering another story... because that's what's really happening...!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:32:49 AM by Micah Seven Eighteen »
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 01:08:09 AM »
I think I'll post my 10 temporary characters, also. Just... not right now. But eventually! God willing.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story